Ryan began his career and spent seven years with Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel, one of the largest firms in Chattanooga. While with Chambliss, Ryan worked in a broad variety of litigations matters, most notably including medical malpractice and long-term care defense, product liability defense, and commercial litigation, in courts all across Tennessee. Through this practice, Ryan developed significant experience with alternative dispute resolution mechanisms and appellate practice, including two significant cases before the Tennessee Supreme Court. The highlight of Ryan’s career was obtaining a defense verdict in his first trial, a case against one of Tennessee’s most recognized firms.
Ryan has also given multiple presentations during his legal career, speaking on the defense of long-term care cases and the enforcement of arbitration agreements. Most recently, Ryan presented a day long mock trial during the Tennessee Trucking Association’s 2011 Annual Convention and presented a seminar regarding Tennessee’s workers compensation laws to an insurer in Georgia.
Ryan is presently a member of the Tennessee and Kentucky bars, the Tennessee and Nashville Bar Associations, and the Belmont University College of Law American Inn of Court. Ryan was previously involved with the Defense Research Institute and the Memphis Bar Association.
Ryan is a Nashville native. Ryan received his law degree in 2004 from the University of Tennessee, where he served as Publications Editor for Transactions: The Tennessee Journal of Business Law. He also earned his undergraduate degree, cum laude, from the University of Tennessee.
Ryan is married to Rebekah, who is an elementary school teacher, and has no children. Ryan enjoys following Vanderbilt athletics and the Pittsburgh Steelers as well as playing tennis, golf, and bowling.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
- J.D. – 2004
- University of Tennessee
- B.S. – 2001
- Honors: cum laude
- Presenter, Tennessee Trucking Association’s 2011 Annual Convention
- Presenter, Tennessee’s workers compensation
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS:
- Of Counsel
- Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel
- American Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Tennessee Health Care Association
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- Nashville Bar Association, Member
- Kentucky Bar, Member
- Belmont University College of Law American Inn of Court
- Memphis Bar Association
- Tennessee, 2004
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 2005
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee, 2005
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee, 2008
- Publications Editor, Transactions: The Tennessee Journal of Business Law
- Workers’ Compensation Defense
- Insurance Defense
- General Litigation
- Mediation (Rule 31 certified)