What Is Child Custody?Child custody is the legal right to make decisions about a child’s upbringing and welfare. It is typically divided into two categories: legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody refers to the right to make decisions about the child’s health, education, and welfare, while physical custody refers to the right to have the child live with you.
Types of Child Custody in TennesseeIn Tennessee, there are two types of child custody arrangements: sole custody and joint custody.
- Sole Custody: Sole custody is when one parent has both legal and physical custody of the child. This parent has the right to make all decisions regarding the child’s welfare and upbringing, and the child lives with them.
- Joint Custody: Joint custody is when both parents have legal and physical custody of the child. The parents must make decisions together regarding the child’s welfare and upbringing, and the child may live with either parent.
How Is Child Custody Determined in Tennessee?In Tennessee, child custody is determined by the court based on the best interests of the child. The court considers several factors when making a custody determination, including:
- The wishes of the parents and the child
- The relationship between the parents and the child
- The stability of each parent’s home environment
- The mental and physical health of each parent
- The child’s adjustment to home, school, and community
- The ability of each parent to provide for the child’s needs
- The willingness of each parent to encourage a relationship between the child and the other parent
Navigating Child Custody Laws in Knoxville, TN
Navigating child custody laws can be a difficult and emotional process. It is important to understand your rights and the legal process. The family law attorneys at Peterson White have the experience and knowledge to help you understand and navigate the legal process. We can help you understand the different types of child custody arrangements, determine the best arrangement for your situation, and ensure that your rights are protected.
Why Work With Peterson White
At Peterson White, we empathize with the complicated emotions involved in child custody disputes. As experienced attorneys, we want to offer our knowledge and support to help you through this difficult time. Our team is dedicated to ensuring your family's best interests are protected, and we know the legal process inside and out. If you need guidance in Knoxville, TN, contact us for a consultation. You don't have to navigate this alone, and we are here to help you understand and protect your rights.