Skip to Content

Is it Possible to Change a Permanent Parenting Plan After a Divorce in Tennessee?

Mother and son

In Tennessee, divorcing parents must draft a Permanent Parenting Plan, which is supposed to help provide parents with the tools needed to raise their children successfully. This written agreement contains everything from parenting responsibilities to residential schedule to the allocation of child support. Although the word “permanent” is in its name, it’s important to know that there are situations that allow the agreement to be modified.

Modifying your Custody Arrangement

If you are seeking to change custody arrangements, you must demonstrate “a material change in circumstance” and that the modification is in the best interest of the child.

Examples of a material change in circumstance include:

  • One parent’s relocation due to employment

  • One parent loses his or her job

  • One parent’s living circumstances or conditions have changed

  • One parent has failed to adhere to the current parenting plan

  • One parent’s physical or mental health has declined

  • There has been abuse or neglect

If the parent seeking the modifications can show there’s been a change, the court will then assess whether the custody change is best for the child. Factors they will look at include:

  • The physical and emotional needs of the child

  • The relationship each parent has with the child

  • Both parents ability to care for the child

  • The willingness of each parent to encourage a relationship between the child and the other parent

We are Here to Help

If you are looking to change your current parenting plan, you should begin the process by consulting an experienced family law attorney. Each case is unique and will require a plan tailored to your goals. Our legal team is here to provide you with the guidance you need for your custody arrangement.

Take the first step with our family law attorneys today by calling us at (855) 919-4124.