Skip to Content

If I Adopt a Child and Then Separate From My Partner, Do I Still Need to Pay Child Support?

Asian woman reading a book to a young bi-racial girl

Adopting a child with your partner is a momentous occasion. However, that excitement can subside over time, and other events may happen that result in adoptive parents separating. For adoptive parents who decide to separate, the responsibility of child support may be questioned.

Who Pays for Child Support After a Separation?

Similar to biological parents who have children and then separate, if parents who adopt a child later separate, a judge could order one of the parents to pay child support. Additionally, if a parent adopts the biological child of their spouse, and then the two parents separate, child support may be awarded to one of the parents. This is outlined in the Tennessee child support guidelines provided by the state’s Department of Human Services.

When is Child Support Needed?

While child support is extremely common, it is not awarded with every separation. A judge determines if child support should be given to one of the parents based upon several factors, including:

  • Incoming revenue from both parents;
  • Custody arrangement (whether one parent is awarded sole custody or if a joint custody agreement is in place); and,
  • Ensuring that the child or children maintain the same amount of comfort and care as possible to what they were accustomed to prior to the separation.

Is Child Support Needed if Joint Custody is Granted?

This is determined on a case-by-case basis. A judge will ultimately decide if and when child support should be granted whether the custody agreement involves joint or sole responsibility.

Questions About Child Support?

Determining whether child support will be awarded can sometimes be predicted ahead of time by using the state’s child support calculator. The key to this worksheet is having all the financial information from both parents. During a separation, one parent may not have access to all financial records from the other parent. That’s why before assuming anything, it’s best to speak with an experienced family law attorney.

The team at Peterson White, LLP has helped countless families during this difficult transition. Our compassionate lawyers are here for you whether your separation involves adoption, child support, or any other complex matters. Reach out today to see what we can do for your case — (855) 919-4124.